Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Questions for Lydia

Ages of Characters
David: In your "Characters" list, you note that DAD is 58-62 and CHERYL is 18-22. While I understand the symbolic significance of the four years regarding Dr. LeVay's awareness of his paternity (of CHERYL), I'm missing the practical meaning of this four-year age range for the two, particularly since CHERYL just graduated from high school. Have I overlooked something in my initial reading?

Lydia: The ages in the character descriptions are simply the range in which the actors could be cast. Not set in stone, not significant, and not a span of age through the show. Just an actor between 58-62 could play the role... which as you know, could mean anything.

Year of the Play
David: Is there a specific year setting for the play? Given that Blackberry was available (as DAD uses it) beginning in 2002, and given that Congo Square produced your play in 2006, may I conclude 2002 or perhaps 2003?

Lydia: I think you're about right, It's probably 2003 or so. Before the possibility of the Obama administration or it would certainly have figured heavily into their conversations.